The Dementia Dance is the perfect book for anyone who is dealing with or is connected to dementia Why? Because it helps its readers to maneuver through dementia while maintaining their sanity.
Let's face it. Even the word 'dementia' evokes terror in the hearts of those who are dealing with it or who have dealt with it. Rosemary Barkes understands where you are. She has been there, done that.
"In 2006, when her mother asked, "Who died?" three days after her husband of 70 years passed away, Rosemary froze. She knew immediately that the ride to the funeral home and back would be a challenging one, as would the rest of their lives.
Rosemary became primary caregiver for her mother for two years following the above incident. She did everything she could to make their time together as rich as possible. In the assisted living facility Rosemary found for her mom, she watched, listened and learned what worked and what didn't. Through it all, she learned how to survive the day-to-day challenges---and there were many. The Dementia Dance is a "must read" for everyone who loves anyone with dementia.
In The Dementia Dance Rosemary covers:
- How to minimize stress in your rapidly changing world
- When to take charge and when to let go
- How to economize on day-to-day items and services while maintaining quality care
- Getting family members or others to help
- Tips on how to take care of yourself
- How to communicate effectively with victims of dementia